Frequently Asked Question
Lincoln students will be required to register for and use Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) when logging into their accounts from off campus. MFA requires users to use an additional method to prove they are authorized to access their account. Instead of just entering a password, users will also need to enter a code received via text, respond to a phone call, or approve a sign in using an app on their mobile device. MFA significantly increases the security of your account and makes it much harder for someone to compromise your account.
The tutorial below shows how to register for and use MFA. A video tutorial is available here.
1. Go to mysignins.microsoft.com.
2. Click 'Security Info' in the left column and then click the + button near 'Add method.'
3. We are going to add two methods: Authenticator App and Phone
4. Select 'Authenticator app' first and click 'Add.'
5. Download the Microsoft Authenticator App and click next.
6-A. The screen on your computer will update and will have a QR code to scan.
6-B. Open the Authenticator app on your mobile device and press the + button.
6-C. Select 'Work or school account.'
6-D. Press 'Scan QR code.'
6-E. Use the camera on your mobile device to scan the QR code.
6-F. Note that your Lincoln Account is now added to the Authenticator app.
6-G. Your computer screen will update automatically or your can press 'Next'.
6-H. A notification will be sent to your mobile device.
6-I. Press 'Approve' on your mobile device.
7. Once you have pressed approve your computer will update and inform you that the notification was approved. Click 'Next.'
8. Click '+ add method.'
9. Select 'Phone' and click 'Add.'
10. Enter a phone number. You can choose to receive codes via text when logging in or to receive a phone call. Once you have entered your number and made your choice, press 'Next.'
9. If you selected 'Text me a code' in the previous step, you will enter the code you received. If you selected 'Call me', you will answer a call to verify your phone number. Once that is done, press 'Done.'
10. You will now see that your phone and the 'Authenticator' app have been added.
You can now login to your Lincoln account using Multi-Factor Authentication.